How to Install Git Browser on Kodi for GitHub Kodi Addons (2021)
Although it’s possible to add GitHub to Kodi on the first generation Fire TV, this version of the add-on requires a lot of work to get it working. As one would expect from a new add-on, we haven’t been able to test this one on a wide variety of devices. Also, GitHub is only available to developers, so if you don’t have a developer account, you won’t be able to use this add-on.
GitHub is the world’s largest software development platform and Git is the world’s most popular version control system. If you’re interested in writing and sharing code, you’ll want to know how to set up and use GitHub and Git. Install Git on your Kodi device and then set up GitHub on your device.
In this tutorial, I will show you how to install the Git browser on Kodi 18.9 and above. The demonstrated method works on all platforms supported by Kodi, including, but not limited to, the Amazon FireStick, Windows PC, Mac, Android smartphones and others.
GitHub is the most widely used version control hosting service and open source distribution platform. It houses hundreds of thousands of codes and programs from software companies and independent developers. GitHub is also one of the most popular hosts for Kodi addon repositories.
One way to install repositories on Kodi is to point Kodi to a GitHub server with the correct repository URL. Another option is to get the Git browser and download the repositories directly from the source code. Direct installation of deposits makes it a little easier. In this tutorial you will learn how to install the Git browser of the Kodi Indigo addon. I’ll also show you how to get started.
To install the Git browser on Kodi
The Git browser is part of the Indigo addon. To install the Kodi Indigo addon, we first need to configure the following security settings:
- Launch Kodi, then tap Settings on the home screen.
- Go to System Preferences (press System if you have Kodi 18 Leia).
- Select Add-ons on the left side of the screen.
- Go to the right side of the screen and activate the Unknown Sources option.
- Press Yes when prompted
Method 1: Install the Git browser directly from the TVAddonsrepository.
First we install the TVAddons repository, then we use that to install the Git browser on the FireStick. Perform the following steps:
- On the Kodi home screen, press Settings
- Open the file manager
- Click on Add a source
- Click where it says <No>.
- Enter the following URL exactly as it appears here: http://fusion.tvaddons.co.
- Select the Enter a name for this media source check box and type the name you want to give to the added source.
Let’s go for the merger. Press OK.
- Back to the Kodi home screen
- Click on Add-ons
- Select the open box icon in the top left corner of the following screen (also called package installer)
- Click on Install from Zip file
- Click to merge the source name (or the way you named the source earlier).
Message: You can also perform steps 1 through 11 in Method 2 below.
- Press the kodi-repose key
- Open the English folder
- In the next screen, click on repository.xbmchub-3.0.0.zip. You will have to scroll down to find this zip file.
Message: Click on this zip file, even if it has a different version number.
- Wait until the Add-on Repository notification from TVAddons.co appears (in the top right corner of the screen).
- Click on Install from Memory
- Click on the TVADDONS.co add-on repository.
- Open the Add-ons option of the program
- In the next window, select Git Browser and click on it.
- Click on Install in the lower right corner of the window (click OK if an extra pop-up window appears on Kodi 18)
- Wait until the notification for the Git Browser add-on appears (again, in the upper right corner).
You have successfully installed the Git Browser addon from the TVAddons repository on Kodi.
Attention KODI users: please read before continuing
Kodi addons / modules offer unlimited streaming content, but can also get you in legal trouble if you get caught watching movies / TV shows / sports for free. Kodi users are strongly advised to always connect a VPN when streaming online. A good Kodi VPN can hide your identity, bypass government surveillance, block content, and ISP throttling (which also contributes to buffer-free streaming).
I use ExpressVPN, which is the fastest and most secure VPN. It is very easy to install on any device, including the Amazon FireStick. Get 3 months free and save 49% on annual plans. There is also a 30 day money back guarantee. If you are not satisfied, you can always ask for a refund.
Click HERE to get 3 months free and save 49% on ExpressVPN.
Read: How to install and use VPN for Kodi
Method 2: Installing the Git browser with the Indigo addon
Follow steps 1 through 11 in Method 1 above (until you hit the Merge Source Name button).
- Open the Start here option (after pressing the Merge button in step 11, method 1 above).
- Click on the zip file plugin.program.indigo-x.x.x.zip
- Wait for a notification when the Indigo add-on is installed. You can see it in the top right corner of the screen.
- Back to the Kodi home screen
- Go to Add-ons > Program Add-ons
- Open the Kodi Indigo addon
- Open the addon installer
- Click Git Browser
- When prompted, select Yes
- Wait for the Git browser to install.
- You have successfully installed the Git browser on Kodi. I will now briefly show you how to use it to install repositories.
Using the Git browser to install GitHub Kodi
1. On the Kodi home screen, go to Addons > Software Addons and open the Indigo addon. Now go to Addon Installer > Git Browser.
2. If the following prompt appears, press the esc key on the keyboard or the OK key on the remote control to clear it.
3. Select Search GitHub Username
4. Click on New Search
5. On the next screen, enter the GitHub username of the Kodi repository you want to install. Each archive has a unique user name. For example, I-A-C is the user name of the Exodus Redux repository for the Exodus Redux addon.
6. Click on the zip file of the repository you want to install. For example, we entered the username I-A-C, which belongs to the Exodus Redux repository. So, click on the file repository.exodusredux.x.zip
Message: To install the archive, click only on the archive file, even if you see other files on this screen.
Git Browser allows you to easily install repositories and add-ons hosted on the GitHub platform. Instead of the long process of adding a source code and installing an archive, you can install the archive directly from the source code. While the Git browser is not the most popular way to download addons and repositories, it is one of the best options in my opinion.
- To install Real Debrid on Kodi
- How to configure Trakt on Kodi
- To solve Kodi buffering
- To install Chrome on the FireStick
- To install Exodus Kodi
We do not check the legality or safety of any add-ons, applications or services mentioned on this website. Furthermore, we do not promote, publish or link to copyrighted feeds. We strongly condemn piracy and urge our readers to avoid it at all costs. Any mention of free streaming on our website refers only to non-copyrighted public domain content. Read our full disclaimer.
We are a reader-supported blog. If you purchase an item through the links on our website, we may receive a commission. Read more
We need your support
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get git browser on Kodi?
You can use the official Git Browser addon for Kodi.
How do I install GitHub repository on Kodi?
You need to install the GitHub repository first. How do I install a Kodi repository? You can install a Kodi repository by going to the Add-ons menu and selecting Install from repository. How do I install a repository using the GitHub website? You can install a repository from the GitHub website by going to the repository’s page, clicking the Downloads tab, and clicking the ZIP button. How do I install a repository from a ZIP file? You can install a repository from a ZIP file by going to the repository’s page, clicking the Downloads tab, and clicking the ZIP button.
How do I download from GitHub to Kodi?
To download from GitHub to Kodi, you will need to download the .zip file from GitHub.com and then unzip the file. Once you have unzipped the file, you will be able to find the .mp4 file inside the folder. You will then need to open Kodi and go to the Add-ons section and click on the Install from zip file option. Once you have clicked on the Install from zip file option, you will be able to find the .mp4 file that you unzipped and then you will be able to click on the file to install it.